On June 8th and 9th a big team of Daves friends from Sheffield will be attempting to ascend the height of Everest on Stanage Edge – which will involve climbing approx 500 – 600 classic routes on this famous gritstone edge in the Peak District National Park. You don’t have to be a seasoned climber to get involved – there will be plenty of people to supervise/equipment and some social activities afterwards – all welcome! Please watch this space for more info.
If you would like to help out in any way, the event organiser is Martin Cooper: [email protected]
27 May Update
The final arrangements for this event are in place:
- Meet Sat 8th June at 9.30am, at Stanage popular end, at the Black Hawk/Eliminator area.
- Someone will be on hand to help with recording the accumulated hight gain from each climbing team – details TBC/explained on the morning.
- Wear you ‘Inspired by Dave’ t-shirt if you have one!
- At the end of the day, folk will head to the Scotsmans Pack pub in Hathersage for refreshments, and to do a final calculation of metres climbed and how much might need doing the following day if necessary.
- Most importantly – it is up to individuals to attract sponsors/donations (e.g. by FB, WhatsApp, Twitter etc). To be contributed via Daves GoFundMe page after the event.
And finally – let’s pray for some summer sunshine! A huge thanks and good skills in advance to all involved, and if there are any last minute queries please post here or contact Martin on the email above.
”Just to remind you all that the date set for the sponsored Stanage Everest Challenge is June 8th, probably extending to the 9th if we get pinned down by strong winds on the South Col! The more folk who get involved the merrier. Don’t have to be a climber to get involved. All ages catered for. Every climb you do adds to the running total of “Climbing Everest- Inspired by Dave”. More details to follow!
More from Martin:
In my job as a Consultant Stroke Physician I have seen many patients face the challenge of suffering a devastating and life-changing stroke. But never have I seen anyone rise to that challenge with the grit and determination of my friend and fellow mountaineer, Dave Hollinger.
Dave is a professional mountain guide whose brainstem stroke happened in March 2018 leaving him “locked in” and since which time he’s been fighting to regain strength and function bit by bit.
To help Dave access specialist rehabilitation and commission a tailor-made chair to enable him to get back into the mountains he so loves, friends, family and colleagues are taking part in a sponsored climbing challenge at Stanage Edge in the Peak District. On Saturday 8th June we will climb the equivalent of the height of Everest (8848m). Amongst the many taking part will be top UK climbers Andy Cave and Mick Fowler, no strangers to climbing some of the world’s most challenging mountains, and we will be supported by record-breaking Everest summiteer Kenton Cool.
Please feel free to join us: climbers of all abilities are invited to take part and donations in support of Dave can be made at https://uk.gofundme.com/inspired-by-dave
Thank youMartin Cooper